Thursday 24 November 2016

Diary of A Hustling OAP (Season 1 – Episode 6)


I know I’ve never done TV before but how hard could it be? After all, Femi Obong-Daniels had always encouraged me to do TV. Radio is my first love, but I thought; while I’m looking to get back on radio, how about I also try to nail a TV gig too and that’s how I found myself on my way to Soundcity (NB: Remember, though, this was still sometime around the early part of the 2011)

I got to Soundcity and asked to see the Head of Programmes and I was asked if I had an appointment. I was going to say ‘yes’ but I changed my mind and replied: ‘No’. The lady suspected what I was about doing and smiled and I smiled back and winked at her. Then she told me to take a seat and chill a bit while she fixes up a meeting with the HOP for me. I said ‘Thank you’ as I sat down. A few minutes later, she ushered me to an office and that was how I met Deji Olamide. ‘Do have a seat’ he signaled at me ‘What can I do for you?
I introduced myself and went straight to the point why I was there. He asked if I had done TV before, I replied ‘No, but I can do it’. He smiled. Paused. Nodded his head and replied: ‘I think you can’. He then said he would have loved to audition me right away but that his production people were unavailable. I didn’t know if to be excited or sad. All the same, he asked me to come back sometime in the next week, so we can make it happen. Now, my head was going to so many places. I couldn’t tell if he was politely shooing me off or if he truly wants to give me a shot, here. Well, I guess time will tell. I’ll have to wait until my next appointment with him. In the meantime, I’d have to keep an open mind and always remain positive. After all, that’s all I can really afford right now.
I was rocked back to reality by his voice saying ‘Here…’ He still had a smile on his face as he stretched his hand towards me. I looked at it and in it was his business card. I took it and quickly put a smile on my own face as I thanked him, gave him a cd copy of my recordings, a copy of my CV and my own phone number.
He walked with me as I exited the building and bade me ‘goodbye’ and when I was by myself, my mind continued the race. I had left home quite early, coming from the mainland to Lekki and I didn’t even get a chance to get in front of the camera. Dang it! I was going to start thinking: ‘What a waste…’ then another voice in my head shushed me and reminded me of my purpose here in Lagos. Yes! It wasn’t by mistake that I found myself here. This was a really thought-out move. Some may call it ‘mad’ though, but, what do I care? So long as it had been looked at from every angle by yours truly. I had left my comfort zone behind and came all the way to Lagos so I guess I must have been ready for any of the hassle this whole experience is going to throw at me. I mean I have to have been ready before I took my pretty self out of Port Harcourt to a foreign land with practically no ‘connect’. Yea…I hear YOU reiterating; ‘mad’. All the same… Bring it! I’m not going to go to some corner to go sulk because of some less-than-expected outcomes. I came prepared. I can handle this. If I go out and don’t get the chance to prove myself, I’ll go home and come back to try again. Better still, when I’m told to come back for a proper chance to actually prove myself…hell! That’s exactly what I’m going to do. I’m going to keep coming back; one place, another place, that same place, other places until I get what I have come out here to do. Hell! I gotta do it myself because, seriously, let’s face it; nobody’s going to do it for me!!!
As those words went through my mind, a genuine smile conquered the efforts of my tear ducts and started finding its way to my lips and then spread across my face and I could feel my spirit being lifted, right then. I could almost scream: Yea, bring it!!! But I thought it wiser to rather smile quietly. And with this lifted spirit, I changed my mind about going home and decided to drop in to say hello to Moshood. So I headed to Ikeja. He was excited to see me. He asked of Raymond Ayuba (Yuba was still alive, then) and I told him Raymond had just gotten a mouth-watering gig on Hot fm, Owerri and had left Lagos. Moshood went ahead and introduced me to some other voice artistes and producers who had come around. They were there for a couple of jobs and I sat in with them as they recorded. Gosh! I could spend the rest of the day right here. How the studio makes me come alive, anytime… The atmosphere. I’m simply a sucker for the studio and the microphone, ofcourse. I just love to be in the studio with like minds. The chattings. The drama. The realness and all that. It is so liberating and can be really intoxicating, too *smiles*. Moshood reassured me he hasn’t forgotten about me and that he would call me up as soon as something pops up. I replied ‘Ok. I’m counting on you.’
I was still at the studio having a swell time with the others when a very interesting text came in on my phone. It was from a former colleague of mine. It’s about an audition which would be happening at Dreams Studios which is somewhere in Ikeja. Another smile…Oh baby, you best bet… I’ll be making an appearance at that audition. You can count on it. But for now, we wait. Wait and prepare for that day *winks*
This is Diary of A Hustling OAP. The next episode comes up here next week. Don’t miss it.

1 comment: